Nardi S'wheel hub adapter for MB W113/ 230SL/ 1967

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello fellow members. I've always wanted a Nardi wheel for my Pagode, which hasn't worked out as yet due to the hub adapter problem. The one for the 280 SL has been readily available (not usable on the 230, too long) whereas for the 230, there hasn't been one, as far as I know, until recently! The eBay.com listing # 201415428550 apparently shows the right, 'holy grail', hub adapter for a 230SL!!!!!! Please take a look if you are familiar with the Pagode and the problematics of different hub lengths, or maybe you could point me to some one who might be. Steering wheels are plenty available..........
I need help in assessing IF this is the right hub. Does Anyone here have/ had a 230 SL /1967 or a 280SL and is knowledgeable of the differences between the 230 vs 280 steering wheel hub for an after market S'wheel?
Whilst sitting in Germany I'm asking US members for advice. Reason is that the conservative MB crowd/ forum would surely lynch me for even considering such blasphemy.
Looking forward to hopeful (good) news. Thanks in advance. Keshav

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Keshav,

I'm not a Mercedes expert, but I can fill you in on some observations. Firstly, I recently looked into Mercedes wheels and I've found that Ebay listings tend to pile on a bunch of models to any given steering wheel. As you know and I found out, there are differences. The same thing happens with BMW listings but it is challenging because the Mercedes wheels all look so very similar. With this comes the recommendation to be very clear about the part number on the Nardi Hub. You want to make sure you are getting the correct one.

I reached out to Nardi USA a ways back to inquire about a horn button. They in actually pointed me at a retailer, in this case www.MrSteeringWheel.com. You may want to reach out to them and try to acquire the exact part number that you might need. Alternatively, you can message the Ebay seller and ask that they measure the depth of the splined portion of the momo hub adapter. That is the important part of the equation.

If it is any help at all I have an early W111 Wheel sitting in my coupe at home. I can measure the depth of the splined portion of the hub. There is a picture of my wheel in the Steering Wheel thread in the general section. A better option would be to remove your wheel and measure it to confirm.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thank you Markos. I figured it wouldn't be as easy as that! I will write the 2 possibilities you mentioned and report back with results!!! Have a great summer day.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Marcos, I got in touch with Mr SteeringWheel and got a prompt reply. Looks like they might have the right adapter and matching wheel, a very exciting prospect. This equates to the similar feeling when one finds a right Perti 380mm leather wheel!!!! I would still love to contact an owner/ previous owner/ owner friend, of a 230 SL who has infact installed a Nardi wheel on a 230, not 280. Big difference. My worry is that 500$ plus import taxes to Germany MUST equate to a fitting/ working wheel.
Marcos, many thanks for your help in ALL matters to ALL the members here. Big compliment!
Ps. Still hoping that you'll find me a pair of rear E9 armrests in black from a 74/75 with the plastic inserts.
Best wishes to all. Keshav

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Marcos, I got in touch with Mr SteeringWheel and got a prompt reply. Looks like they might have the right adapter and matching wheel, a very exciting prospect. This equates to the similar feeling when one finds a right Perti 380mm leather wheel!!!! I would still love to contact an owner/ previous owner/ owner friend, of a 230 SL who has infact installed a Nardi wheel on a 230, not 280. Big difference. My worry is that 500$ plus import taxes to Germany MUST equate to a fitting/ working wheel.
Marcos, many thanks for your help in ALL matters to ALL the members here. Big compliment!
Ps. Still hoping that you'll find me a pair of rear E9 armrests in black from a 74/75 with the plastic inserts.
Best wishes to all. Keshav

Keshav,

Great to hear. If you are willing to buy used, you can typically find a vintage nardi for under $250. If it comes with a hub then you can generally sell that hub with ease. I bought my vintage nardi for $120 and sold the hub for $40. I had to pick up a different hub and a horn ring so I was back up to $200 total.

This guy is asking $500 for a vintage one with a Mercedes horn button, but it's been for sale for over a month. I would offer $300, then sell the hub. Check the date code on the back to verify the age. Newer Nardi's can be run through a serial number verification tool on the personal site.

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/pts/5645300112.html

If you see one in the states perhaps a member can pick it up for you.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So very kind of you Marcos. Really very nice, what enthusiasm you envoke with all your posts and help. I wrote the Nardi wheel seller asking what size the wheel is, I would like not to exceed 390mm and which car model hub is it. Buying a wheel is not the problem, it's the hub and horn function, particularly for the 230SL, that is causing a major heart burn. For some odd reason I couldn't, as yet, get in to the membership of the US SL forum and inquire there regarding the RIGHT hub for the 230SL. The 280 hub is readily available!!!That is also the problem with the MrSteeringWheel hub.......no horn function without 'reinventing the wheel'!
I'm somewhat surprised that I haven't come across a member here with a SL/ W113.
Thanks a ton and have a great Sunday.