What happened to the "personal album" in the new forum?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In the previous version, when you went to a member profile, you had the opportunity to view an Album where that member could post photos.

It appears that now that has been replaced by the Showcase which is linked to the public Garage.

There was a good advantage to the old, "less public" album which is that it let us upload photos, say from home at night for example, which could then be used in posts written during the day from another location.

The new Garage is more of a presentation area where you go and check out other people's photos. Nothing wrong with that, but the "personal storage" area from before was really useful.

Is it possible to reinstate that or something similar?

Thank you Dan and Arun

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
You can right-click on any image and "Save image address", which you can "paste" somewhere else as a link to the image. Is this what you're referring to or were you using it differently?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You can right-click on any image and "Save image address", which you can "paste" somewhere else as a link to the image. Is this what you're referring to or were you using it differently?

Thanks Dan.

Maybe I am getting my interfaces confused. At home I use a Mac and at work we are on Linux. While they share underlying architecture, the interface is obviously quite different.

When you click on "Upload a File" at bottom right, the new forum will not show images that are higher than x size. By default, my iPhone saves in a higher resolution so most photos cannot be uploaded to the forum. I don't have a quick and easy way to resize photos from my iPhone at work. So I was hoping I could resize and upload pics to a "staging"/ out of the way area of the forum in the evening so that I can insert them where appropriate in threads during the day.

I thought you could do that with the old forum but maybe I am getting confused.

With the new Garage, you can Copy an image and then Paste it in a thread. But then it shows up at full size in the thread. I like the thumbnail preview so if people don't want to waste bandwith they can simply skim over them and only open the ones they are interested in.

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
When you click on "Upload a File" at bottom right, the new forum will not show images that are higher than x size. By default, my iPhone saves in a higher resolution so most photos cannot be uploaded to the forum.

I have the file size set to 20mb for uploads so I doubt it have to do with file size. I could be wrong but I'm not what I would be missing...

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow. No kidding. 20mb should be more than adequate. For some reason, when I downsize the photos then they show up as available for upload.

Hmmm... I am starting to think that it is on my side. This linux env is no always the most friendly to anything visual.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
There may be more settings that I'm missing, sometimes at different user levels. Let me know if you learn anything else...

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
If you hover over your username in the upper right of the forum you'll see "Your Profile Page". That link takes you to your profile page and one of the tabs is "Showcase", which I'm changing to "Garage" but haven't found all the instances yet. This is similar to the old Album and can hold many images. If a guest is on the site they can click on anyone's username and it pops up a profile box and one of the selections in "Showcase".

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Right, but that automatically pops up in the main Garage area, right? It is not confined just to one user's profile area. Correct?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Right, but that automatically pops up in the main Garage area, right? It is not confined just to one user's profile area. Correct?

Right. I checked into it and there are no controls to keep them private. So, if you add images to your Garage they will be public.