intermitent ignition problems

Matthieu

Reaction score
Hello all!

i've bought 2 mounths ago a electronic ignition (123 ingition) for my 74 3.0 CS.
It was a real improvement, linear acceleration and it goes upper in rpm.
but 2 weeks ago, while I was driving smoothly, i experienced a 'cut out' with no warning of the engine and the tach went brutaly to 0.
It is very unpleasant to experience this on the road.
I tried to restart the engine with no success.

There were no sparks in the plugs.
I first thought it was the electronic ignition. But it seemed to be somewhere else, like a poor ground.

The car restarted 2 days after with no problem (!?), and had intermitent stops.
I had little 'cut-out' during the acceleration. and big'cut-out' of the engine. Not good to go for a ride...

It might be a wire grounding somewhere. But no way to find where.

So it disconected the tach wire from the '-' of the coil. (black wire).
And the ignition problem disappeared. But the tach is not working anymore.
It might be a wire grounding in the tach or something like that.
I can drive the car but i can not connect the tach wire without having ignition problems

--> Does anyone has already experienced a problem like this?
Do I need to remove the tach to find a wire grounding?
Thanks a lot!!!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Very likely your tach wire has gone bad as it runs around the front of the car and into the dash.
You can replace it fairly easily.

jmackro

Reaction score
I would de-bug this by making a temporary jumper wire to run from the coil "-" to the back of the tach (yea, the back of the tach is real easy to access!). If the car runs reliably with that in place, then sfdon's diagnosis is correct - the factory wire has gotten pinched somewhere, creating a short.

But are we certain that the 123 is compatible with the BMW electronic tach? Is it possible that the tach has somehow fried itself while driven off the 123, creating a short? E.g., have others run a 123 successfully, with the stock tachometer in place?

I can report that my Pertronix drives the stock tach with no problems - I would expect the 123's coil driver to be similar to a Pertronix.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No issues in 2 years of running the 123. One of best upgrades I've done for the car.

I would de-bug this by making a temporary jumper wire to run from the coil "-" to the back of the tach (yea, the back of the tach is real easy to access!). If the car runs reliably with that in place, then sfdon's diagnosis is correct - the factory wire has gotten pinched somewhere, creating a short.

But are we certain that the 123 is compatible with the BMW electronic tach? Is it possible that the tach has somehow fried itself while driven off the 123, creating a short? E.g., have others run a 123 successfully, with the stock tachometer in place?

I can report that my Pertronix drives the stock tach with no problems - I would expect the 123's coil driver to be similar to a Pertronix.

Matthieu

Reaction score
Thanks Jmackro! I'll try to jump a wire from the tach to the coil.
but how can I access to the back of the tack? Is it possible to remove the tack without removing all the dashboard?
It seems to be a big task to remove all the dashboard...!

thanks a lot!