Prop' Shaft Removal

E3_UK

Reaction score
I'm suffering the signs of a deteriorating prop' shaft centre bearing, with a distinct thumping from the shaft when taking up drive in 1st/reverse. The bearing rubber hasn't failed however the shaft can be moved a fair amount by hand with the rubber flexing as a result therefore I'm assuming this is at fault. The guibo appears to be in excellent condition with no cracking evident. My question is, is prop' shaft removal a home job ?. I have an EZ Carlift therefore can raise the car 2ft (photo below isn't raised to the full height) however the crossbars on the lift would restrict exhaust and shaft removal I think. This aside I don't really like the idea of lying under the car while removing a heavy item like the prop' shaft. Is it best left to a garage ?. The other question is, although the guibo looks ok is it best to replace it while the shaft is off anyway ?. I'm concerned that I may be replacing a perfectly good coupling with an inferior aftermarket one but don't want to do the work twice should it need replacing in the future.

restart

Reaction score
It's easy to take off the driveshaft.
Usually the exhaust comes off but you may be able to add a bit of preload To the Center bearing as a test(withOUT touching the exhaust)
I had a recent Center bearing issue. Slight shudder. Visually it was worn and the rubber looked deteriorated.
I ordered the CB but thought I would change the preload on the existing suspect CB a bit to see if changed the shudder, confirming the CB as a problem.

Well, when I added the 1/4" preload the shudder went away and hasn't returned.

Theoretically (I have read that ) the driveshaft should be aligned well enough that the Center bearing is not required.

That's my two cents...Ymmv

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
at the same time do both the csb and a giubo (M5) of German origin.

Preload the csb per the manual and make sure the driveshaft flange rotates flush with the giubo before tightening. Adjust at the tranny mounts and/or the csb mount if not.

I've done this a couple times with car on jackstands. Not fun with your nose a couple inches from the driveshaft but doable. Be very thorough regarding safety.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mike and I just did this on the 2800, car was on a lift. Exhaust has to come out, no question. Removing drive shaft straight forward but the nose will hang up on the Guibo which we removed. Removing the old CSB required a press, we couldn't drive it off, not fun!

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mike and I just did this on the 2800, car was on a lift. Exhaust has to come out, no question. Removing drive shaft straight forward but the nose will hang up on the Guibo which we removed. Removing the old CSB required a press, we couldn't drive it off, not fun!

But we did it!

E3_UK

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply folks. Interesting that adjusting the preloaded may improve things, I might try that first. Just how much lateral movement should there be on the bearing rubber when the shaft is pushed ?. Although mine looks ok I'm assuming it's original therefore the rubber has presumably softened over time. It certainly doesn't feel stiff when pushed but at the same time there is a bit of resistance so it doesn't appear completely shot. The guibo i ordered is by Meyle, not sure about its quality, it wasn't that expensive so may be dubious but I'll see what it's like before I decide on fitting it. I'm happy doing all of the mechanicals on my cars but will be working solo therefore still not sure about taking the shaft off. Even if I get it out, lifting it back into position might be a bit difficult, the jury is still out on that one.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The shaft is not that heavy or cumbersome, can be done solo.

Yes you'll need a bearing puller to remove the old csb from the shaft and a 1' long pipe of suitable circumference to hammer the new one in place.

Doubtful your symptoms are from lack of preload. You don't want cheapo parts only to have to redo this in a few months.

Last edited:

E3_UK

Reaction score
The shaft is not that heavy or cumbersome, can be done solo.

Yes you'll need a bearing puller to remove the old csb from the shaft and a 1' long pipe of suitable circumference to hammer the new one in place.

Doubtful your symptoms are from lack of preload. You don't want cheapo parts only to have to redo this in a few months.

Ok I'll have another look up on the lift. I still think the lift crossbars will be in the way though, which is a pity as it's a good bit higher than using jack stands, the ones I have anyway.

restart

Reaction score
I agree with Steve that clunking into gear is probably not CSB symptom.
I mentioned changing the preload as a test to see if it changes your symptoms and help with diagnosing the actual problem.

As an example of some other places that clunk when going into gear...I recently removed a similar clunking in my e30 by replacing rear subframe bushings.
So, as the old adage goes....probably best to determine the exact problem before replacing parts.

Not sure whether the cross bars will be in the way or not.
Good luck....

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The standard for removing a center bearing is to strike the shaft onto an anvil.
Nice and hard.

E3_UK

Reaction score
I agree with Steve that clunking into gear is probably not CSB symptom.
I mentioned changing the preload as a test to see if it changes your symptoms and help with diagnosing the actual problem.

As an example of some other places that clunk when going into gear...I recently removed a similar clunking in my e30 by replacing rear subframe bushings.
So, as the old adage goes....probably best to determine the exact problem before replacing parts.

Not sure whether the cross bars will be in the way or not.
Good luck....

I'm pretty sure it isn't subframe bushings, that would be a very different type of noise. My thumping is only just when taking up drive, primarily in reverse and if you increase the revs while doing so it doesn't thump which to me would suggest the drive shaft. All of the mountings look fine, diff' , transmission and subframe.