Shift knob question

lloyd

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This is what I removed from the Cs when it bought it.

Italian made by "Personal"

IMO for sure after market

"Personal" is, of course, a well known maker of s. wheels and like accessories. The BMW logo you pictured looks fairly new, but that is an uneducated opinion. As has been alluded to, the notion of aftermarket is fuzzy in the sense that BMW offered for sale or sanctioned equipment it did not directly manufacture. If I am not mistaken, the Petri 380mm steering wheel is one such example. (Could there have been an unlisted companion shift knob?) The picture is blurred further by so many well-made vintage items that bear various manufacturers' trademark logos (e.g., Porsche and Mercedes, etc.) that easily masquerade as stock parts (or even better than stock parts :?:). Allegedly, manufacturers (understandably) objected to the unlicensed sales of these items. So, in some instances, could the real difference between stock and aftermarket come down to the existence of a licensing agreement?

No 17. 32331112244

ersatzteile19431.png

78825-personal-steering-wheel-null_zps7c5b9d50.png

005.JPG

Incidentally, the Petri ^^ and the knobs vv are from Coupeguy's site: http://www.coupeguy.com/
shift%20knobs%20007.JPG

Last edited:

Philippe db

Reaction score
Petri made the oem bus wheel also.

Steve don't laugh with the "Bus Wheel" I simply love it, makes the E9 so light footed.

Lloyd indeed not the nicest shift knob. Color scheme is in fact Blue and silver in stead of blue/white. No idea when and where it ended up in the car.

Attachments

• IMG_5593.JPG
    IMG_5593.JPG
    695 KB · Views: 153

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is from a brochure of undated diving board car...

That knob is a bit more round on the top than I would expect. Confusing stuff! My '71 has a BMW logo knob, very factory looking. My '73 has the plain wood knob, but much flatter on top than the picture you posted. Maybe it's just an illusion in that brochure pic but it looks like the dome is very pronounced.

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Please have a look at these pictures. Coming out of a 1975 Csi that looks 100% original to me.

This is one of the reasons why I started this thread. Looking in to cars on several occasion I noticed these quite bulky looking shift knobs that look a lot larger then what is normally offered as standard for the.

Anybody recognizes this knob?

Attachments

• Shifter 4.JPG
    Shifter 4.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 199
  • Shifter 3.JPG
    Shifter 3.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 173
  • Shifter 2.JPG
    Shifter 2.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 180
  • Shifter 1.JPG
    Shifter 1.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 193

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After years of searching I just bought what is described as an original no-logo wood knob in mint condish as pictured in the catologue below (with the slight dome to the top and thinner edge than in Phillipe's jpeg-4 image as well as more dome than the repro I bought from Germany a while back), if it gets across the atlantic ok I will report back with a comparo of the other "original" logo knobs I rotate into service:

page04.jpg

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And original shift boot as well! I reluctantly just replaced mine as those tears just went too far. Any chance you could post some close ups of that knob? Has it been refinished? This is what i just bought.

s-l500.jpg

Here's an original from 71'...

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hmm... That's interesting, I never paid attention to it before. What should a 71/72 lighter look like?

I will shoot a couple pics tomorrow... I should know better than to claim "original", you'll see that it is smoother than the one you have though.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here's what I believe to be an original, unrestored one from an early, injected CSL I have in the parts stash;

Attachments

• IMG_5193.jpg
    IMG_5193.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 215