REALOEM Serial Search Doesn't Match E9 Model

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hmm, when I enter the VIN for my '74, it brings it up accurately as a manual trans USA car with M30 engine produced in May of '74. I just click on search after entering the VIN, and that info comes up. Then I click on 'browse', and it go to the page for selection from the general areas.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
deQ,

Your seven digit VIN is part of the last seven digits of a newer seventeen digit VIN, it wasn't reassigned.

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I was beginning to wonder what was going on. It is odd that BMW reassigned the numbers. Interestingly I have a 1980 633csi which was produced right at the time when the VIN issued to the title was seven digits, the VIN on the plate affixed to the top of the steering column is seven digits, but the chassis bears the full VIN. That was fun to explain at the BMV.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
really ? if that is correct then why if i give the VIN to the guys at bmw dealer they can not bring the info of my car, and yes the 745i i mentioned ? we are then lost forever ?

Because the guy behind the counter doesn't realize that in the 70s BMW used seven digit VINs, that's why. And they only ask for the last seven digits of the seventeen digit VIN because the first ten digits includes info they don't need like place of manufacture and a few other bits. Our seven digit VINs have not been reassigned, they just happen to be part of a longer string of digits now.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Because the guy behind the counter doesn't realize that in the 70s BMW used seven digit VINs, that's why. And they only ask for the last seven digits of the seventeen digit VIN because the first ten digits includes info they don't need like place of manufacture and a few other bits. Our seven digit VINs have not been reassigned, they just happen to be part of a longer string of digits now.

the fact is that if he introduces a seven digit vin, the response is not my car but other, so how can he get my car on his screen ? what other numbers must he add to those seven ?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
His screen only asks for seven digits, the other numbers are irrelevant in a parts search for a newer BMW. He has to search by model for older BMWs, not VIN. There are no numbers to add to our VINs.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris is technically correct and DQ is applying real world experience. The VIN's haven't been recycled, but that doesn't help us functionally. Lack of foresight or concern when designing the systems for looking up parts. The year 1900 wasn't recycled but you probably all remember the late 90's concern around the Y2K bug. Even though 2000 is different from 1900, they only used the last two digits for programming, making the dates effectively equal. Once again, lack of foresight. Ideally, you could pad the VIN with zeros as DQ suggested but that isn't built into the search.

My car shows up as an e30...