Another Texan

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello friends! Good to see so many of you around my area. I'm in Bryan, better known as Bryan/College Station. I'm working on finishing the restoration on a 3.0CS for a customer/friend who lives in Houston. I'm an avid accumulator of 80's BMW's. Sadly I can't afford any from the 70's, but perhaps by the time I'm finished getting paid for this restoration I'll be able to. :D

The car came to me with fresh paint and a rebuilt engine loosely attached to it, and buckets of parts. The engine is a M30B34 bored to 3.6-something liters. Has no EFI system with it, so I'm installing the M30B35 stuff. Keeping the original 4 speed. It came with custom seats, and most interior parts already redone, and all the interior wood replaced by carbon fiber, so I'll be installing all that once she's up and running. I'll be building a custom AC system for it, really my favorite part of any car. There's a lot of work to do on the wiring, both refurbishing the original and adding new for all the additional circuits. And it needs a full custom exhaust, stainless steel of course. I really love the resto-mod nature of this build. The owner and I both can be creative and do whatever we think is cool.
IMG_1679[1].JPG
IMG_1680[1].JPG
IMG_1683[1].JPG

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome. Looks very promising. What color is that? Some sort of graphite grey?
But did I read this correctly? "all the interior wood replaced by carbon fiber"...

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome. Looks very promising. What color is that? Some sort of graphite grey?
But did I read this correctly? "all the interior wood replaced by carbon fiber"...

Yes, a medium metallic grey. I don't believe it's a BMW color, just a random selection.

Yes, apparently the wood trim was in bad shape and the owner didn't like it anyway, so he covered all those surfaces in self adhesive carbon fiber material instead. Perhaps not everyone's taste, but it should look good. I'll get a picture.

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi James,
Are you familiar with the TexFest group in Houston? They started out as a mostly E28 group, but has grown pretty diverse. Haven't seen any E9's at the events yet, but you'd be more than welcome. They have an event scheduled for October in Leaky, TX. Not sure if I'll make it to that one. If you join the facebook group you can keep up with various events around the state and meet some cool people. https://www.facebook.com/groups/TexFest.LSBandF/

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Custom A/C you say? Hmm, Tell me more. I'll need to put A/C in my coupe as my restoration progresses since I live in Austin and I'm looking for options. Just keep me in mind as y0u develop your build. I'm sure others will be interested in your solution.

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
Custom A/C you say? Hmm, Tell me more. I'll need to put A/C in my coupe as my restoration progresses since I live in Austin and I'm looking for options. Just keep me in mind as y0u develop your build. I'm sure others will be interested in your solution.

I'll post pics here. Or you can bring it over and have me put one in once this car is done. I'll probably get a run of Sanden adapter brackets made since not much is available and I don't like the ones I've seen. AC is probably next on the agenda since it'll be very helpful to get most of it built while the engine is out.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
WHy no 5-speed?

Would look great w/a CSL front air damn on there (keep the euro front bumper of course).

Aftermarket AC like...VintageAir?

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
WHy no 5-speed?

I think the owner just wants to cruise around on weekends, not go cross country. Probably should have gone for it anyway, for what the 4 speed clutch master cylinder, rod, lever, and throwout bearing cost, you could pretty much buy a whole 5 speed setup.

Aftermarket AC like...VintageAir?

No, it's an original AC car so the interior stays the same. I'll just be adapting it to a Sanden compressor and parallel flow condenser and making all new lines under the hood since nothing is there.

grnder95

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Layne , I live in Houston I was wondering if you do bodywork too I own a 73 3.0cs that I'm in the process of restoring, by the way the car looks awesome Cheers Victor

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Layne , I live in Houston I was wondering if you do bodywork too I own a 73 3.0cs that I'm in the process of restoring, by the way the car looks awesome Cheers Victor

I'm not equipped to do paint jobs, but I can do steel work. You can e-mail me pics or details of what you have in mind if you like: banjo_84us at yahoo dot com.

Matthew Groner

Reaction score
Yes, a medium metallic grey. I don't believe it's a BMW color, just a random selection.

Yes, apparently the wood trim was in bad shape and the owner didn't like it anyway, so he covered all those surfaces in self adhesive carbon fiber material instead. Perhaps not everyone's taste, but it should look good. I'll get a picture.

Layne, Space Gray...? I can't remember but it is a newer BMW color. Ask Bill

79aggie

Reaction score
Hello friends! Good to see so many of you around my area. I'm in Bryan, better known as Bryan/College Station. I'm working on finishing the restoration on a 3.0CS for a customer/friend who lives in Houston. I'm an avid accumulator of 80's BMW's. Sadly I can't afford any from the 70's, but perhaps by the time I'm finished getting paid for this restoration I'll be able to. :D

The car came to me with fresh paint and a rebuilt engine loosely attached to it, and buckets of parts. The engine is a M30B34 bored to 3.6-something liters. Has no EFI system with it, so I'm installing the M30B35 stuff. Keeping the original 4 speed. It came with custom seats, and most interior parts already redone, and all the interior wood replaced by carbon fiber, so I'll be installing all that once she's up and running. I'll be building a custom AC system for it, really my favorite part of any car. There's a lot of work to do on the wiring, both refurbishing the original and adding new for all the additional circuits. And it needs a full custom exhaust, stainless steel of course. I really love the resto-mod nature of this build. The owner and I both can be creative and do whatever we think is cool.
View attachment 19122 View attachment 19123 View attachment 19124

Oh I bet you like A/C, Bryan/College Station is hotter than hell! Well truth be told, here in Northern Virginia it gets almost as hot but only for a few weeks, it's been in the mid eighties for the last couple of days and first part of September the heat and humidity will dissipate and weather will be superb for the next three two four months. That said you live in heaven otherwise! Gig'em!

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's been a great summer here. Finally cracked 100 deg maybe 4 or 5 days, then started raining. Previous years we've had over 50 consecutive days over 100.