Anyone in the market? 13-15K e9

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi folks, In my travels to procure parts for the 320 IS I came across a gentleman with an e9 for sale. He's a mechanic- old school and sent me some pictures of an e9 he wants to sell for a customer. Claims no rust, and a decently repaired front end incident. It is an automatic. I am going to include his email to me and pictures below but before I run up to Dallas to look at her I would like to see if anyone on the board is looking for one. Dallas is a 4 hour drive. If I do go and inspect it and someone wants to purchase it, after my inspection, I will raise the price by 1K, but that's a full day for me and I'm taking a chance that it's no good, also, I will negotiate best price.

Here is his email to me-
"He wants $15,000.00, but I talked him into asking $13,000.00. I did some electrical things, (fixed the ign switch, got power to the window switches, only the rear are electric, it's a Euro car), got the engine to run, (it still has the old Zeniths on it, but they run good). While it runs, I have not set anything carb-wise for idle and point dwell. I put in new sunroof cables and weather-stripping on the lid, the transmission was redone before he brought it to me, (it had no reverse), tires are rotten, (RR tire doesn't hold air for more than a few hours). I got a line on a set of 185-60/14s this morning for $400.00 for the set. (The place I get my state inspections is a Mom & Pop tire store). I was thinking of getting those just so it has something that I don't have to air up every time I want to move it. A friend of mine was wanting to buy it but hasn't come up with the cash yet. He did come over (from Arlington) to inspect the car. There's no rust on the bottom or trunk area. It was wrecked in the front and decently fixed. (There are pictures in the trunk). It needs the sunroof headliner. I have the frame and was ready to buy fabric when purchase prospects came up, so I have not pursued it any further. Seats are cloth.The owner is current on all billing, so nothing is owed to me at this point. There's still a lot that needs to be done, mainly interior-wise."

Attachments

• 3.0 VIN Plate 03.jpg
    3.0 VIN Plate 03.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 286
  • 3.0CS Engine 04.jpg
    3.0CS Engine 04.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 297
  • 3.0CS Sunroof Seal 01.jpg
    3.0CS Sunroof Seal 01.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 284
  • 3.0CS Sunroof Seal 02.jpg
    3.0CS Sunroof Seal 02.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 275
  • Check-out 02.jpg
    Check-out 02.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 486
  • Check-out 03.jpg
    Check-out 03.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 310
  • interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 279
  • interior1.jpg
    interior1.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 269
  • rear seat.jpg
    rear seat.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 272

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'll get more info tomorrow and some interior shots if anyone is interested. Also, people can send an email to peterc at completebook.com If anyone wants to check it out themselves I can put them in touch with the seller.

jamesw

Reaction score
No rust in Dallas is a reasonable claim. If it's a no rust car with a decent repair then this one is a good value.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
How many $25K cars have we seen in the last six months with rust issues? I would be jumping on this one if I was in the market for an E9. All of the full restorations had the fenders off, and some had the nose removed. I wouldn't shy away from a fender bender as long as the frame checked out.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm putting together the information necessary to make a decision on weather I should drive up for a visit, once I have that in place I will present my opinion, for which I will take no responsibility, I say that only because I am constantly reminded by my wife that I'm irresponsible and never take responsibility for anything. I, of course, do not agree with her but I'm not responsible for her feelings on this :)

After receiving more pictures, which I will post as soon as I get them, I would like to get a list of people who would seriously be interested if it checks out. Then I could possibly go up, inspect, purchase and bring it to my warehouse where whoever wants to check it out can. I'm not sure how it will work out, but those are my thoughts. If it's truly free of rust- which is a big question- and if the frame measures correctly and all the arrows point to "go" I think the price is very fair and I would add to my that price my time, but would do my best to bring the price down on the actual sale. I'm also a little busy with some contracts this week so if I am despondent it's probably because I got lost on the way home from the bar.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Peter... just checking if you received the email I sent to your email Thursday morning expressing interest.
Peter, after this is all sorted out and you have your usual batch of abundant free time we can parse the word "responsible" more. Then we can move on to "equivvocation" one of my favorites.

Steve

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Folks, I really wanted to go up to Dallas to look at this car but work has once again gotten in the way. There is a quiet forum member who lives in Dallas and I'm going to put him in touch with the owner and his mechanic. The mechanic seems to be a very nice guy, retired and I think works from his own garage. He convinced the owner to let the car go at a reasonable price (I think) and so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for all the feedback and I hope it works out well.

If there are any updates I will pass them along here.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Guys, sorry, no finders fee for me, I would have taken a fee for inspection and transport and sale set up, but I didn't do anything, There was a forum member in Dallas who was very interested and I simply could not get the time to go and look at it. I had an additional motive in doing the inspection in that the guy has allot of e21 parts that he is shipping to me so I thought I would kill 2 birds with one rock. The member who is looking at it for purchase this weekend said he would post info on the car here after he personally inspects it. I sent him the information mid morning today and then headed up to the ranch to store the Shelby and pull out the Porsche :) The e21 is running fine although I found a plethora of parts from one of our members here and the guy selling the e9 so I'll probably end up re-doing everything I just did, this is a very common theme with me! Thanks to Don I'll be doing a massive tear down of the midnight blue e9 (my first one) and replacing the engine, transmission, rear end, dashboard and A/C. I'm the only guy with 2 e9's that can realistically claim he's rebuilt 10 of them :) Oh my goodness, the e21 is so much simpler!

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Also, please accept my apologies if I have been unresponsive to any emails even though I listed mine as a way to contact me, I have no reasonable excuse, maybe subconsciously trying to maintain my irresponsibility, but I really am sorry.