food and cooking

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i would apologize in advance for this thread,...:)

this one is for fun, when i am not fixing the coupe,...

...do you enjoy cooking your own food ?

yesterday we went fishing, it is the season for calamar, big ones like this one (weight 1,2 kg)

probably you know about calamars in black ink, it is a typical food here in the basque country (we called them "txipiroiak" in basque languaje), and not always well accepted by foreigners, despite all is natural ingredients and very healthy eating black food is always a concern, if anyway someone is interested here you are a few tips:

ovbiusly you have to clean the calamars, and keep the ink bag for the sauce

the base is simply a lot of chopped onions cooked slowly in olive oil, when onions become of yellowish color you add chopped tomatoes, and here is the setup:

look at the ink bag, seems small but its content will be enough for 1 litre tomato + onion

once the tomatoes have been cooked for 10 minutes you add the ink, and see how everything becomes black

you add the "txipiroia"

once it starts boiling, reduce the fire, and keep it medium for 35 to 40 minutes depending on the size of the calamar.

if posible wait until the next day to eat it, choose your favourite White wine, a "txakoli" would be a great choice, but not sure you would be able to find it everywhere,... enjoy

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
You live a good life over there. We mostly eat takeout these days and cereal.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have eaten squid ink pasta. Terrific! I would eat DeQ meal without hesitation. Red wine accompaniment!
The squid ink gave the pasta a creamy taste

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A DeQ food pictorial! I'd gladly eat that along with a nice glas of rose' or white. We don't get much squid here, but the shrimp, crab, crawfish, and oysters make for great bases to get creative with, all of which go well with that onion/tomato combo.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
You live a good life over there. We mostly eat takeout these days and cereal.

that sounds sad, i arrived from london on friday, all those human beings commuting, in a hurry, sucking their coffees to go from those paper recipients, armed with ridiculous paper bags with a lonely sandwich inside, we need a food liberation, back to the roots !

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
3d049e40283c8d1350bca464cbe0875d.jpg

I too enjoy cooking and ironically, I prefer to cook for others enjoyment but will only work on my own cars and usually in solitude.

Last weekend had some family over and cooked this 6 pound porterhouse on the big green egg.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have eaten squid ink pasta. Terrific! I would eat DeQ meal without hesitation. Red wine accompaniment!
The squid ink gave the pasta a creamy taste

Yes! We just had a squid ink pasta dish in Italy, it was called cepia noodles, it was awesome.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
In such situations as calamar and lobster I always wonder about the first guy to eat these? What bet did he lose, what dare did he take on. Nobody would pull these out of the water and think "this is an awesome food source".

I have had this dish and still remember how good it was............then the ink pasta also was awesome............