E3 key question

FjordTempo

Reaction score
After losing my only set of keys for my 1976 3.0Si, I've been reading every post related to replacing keys. First off, yes I'm kicking myself for not making a duplicate set before losing the only set!

One key opened all doors, glove box, and the ignition, so I plan to remove a lock, read the code, and order a key along with a back up key.

A second key opened just the trunk, so I assume that lock had been replaced at some point. There's a small possibility that I locked the keys in the trunk, so I'd like to open the trunk before moving ahead. Fortunately, I had removed all trunk vinyl and have access through the speaker cutouts on the parcel shelf (see attached photo).

Can anyone tell me if I can open the lock from the inside? I have long arms and a number of flexible but firm tools (insert joke here). I just don't understand how the mechanism works.

Or, could I just break through the lock from the outside and then replace it with a lock that I have a locksmith match to the new key?

Any and all advice will be welcomed.

Thank you,

Matt

Attachments

• Trunk.jpg
    Trunk.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 281

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The trunk lock lever pushes against the latch to open, so, you would have to pull the latch towards the rear seat to get it to open. That would take a long bar with an L shaped end to pull with.

FjordTempo

Reaction score
Thank you.

Thank you Chris. I'll keep you posted.

p.s. I trust Mike shared with you my blue plate success story on the e9. Thank you for your help and advice on that. I hope you have similar success.

Attachments

• e9plate.jpg
    e9plate.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Trunk Lock

I'm not sure how he got the lock out,however he had only one lock that worked with the key and he was able to rekey every lock to work with one key. He said it was time consuming but not really hard to do.

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not necessarily recommending it but on my Bav (don't tell anybody) there is a 1/2" hole drilled under the trunk roundel that the PI made in order to do what you are attempting (at least that is why I assume it is there). Allows access to the mechanism. I covered the hole with some body sealant before reinstalling the roundel. Again, desperate measure only.

FjordTempo

Reaction score
Follow up question regarding key codes:

If one key opened all doors and worked on the ignition, I assume i can remove the door lock to retrieve the code to get a new key cut which would then work on all of the same locks?

thank you
Matthew

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack the thread, but my buddy has a full e3 lock and key set if anyone is in a bind. PM me for details and I'll get you in touch.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
On an E24 the glove box lock is keyed as the others. If you pull this lock, a simple thing to do, it will, or should have, the lock coding stamped on the barrel. Note, should have.

FjordTempo

Reaction score
UPDATE: Keys 4 Classics was an amazing resource. From the code on my driver's door lock, I got 2 keys cut for just $59 including shipping from Australia. If anyone has as little forethought as I, and does not have a spare, they can also cut from a photo of your current key. Get a spare today!

As my trunk lock was a separate key (also lost), I drilled out the trunk lock to open it up to make sure my lost keys were not inside. I am about to buy a replacement trunk lock and key set. Will certain locksmiths (maybe Balport in Newport Beach) re-key this new trunk lock to work with the new keys for the rest of the car? If no one knows, I'll call around Monday and report my findings.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

Matt

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
UPDATE: Keys 4 Classics was an amazing resource. From the code on my driver's door lock, I got 2 keys cut for just $59 including shipping from Australia. If anyone has as little forethought as I, and does not have a spare, they can also cut from a photo of your current key. Get a spare today!

As my trunk lock was a separate key (also lost), I drilled out the trunk lock to open it up to make sure my lost keys were not inside. I am about to buy a replacement trunk lock and key set. Will certain locksmiths (maybe Balport in Newport Beach) re-key this new trunk lock to work with the new keys for the rest of the car? If no one knows, I'll call around Monday and report my findings.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

Matt
Hi Matt;
They definitely can and may charge you way too much. My son did the two doors and trunk using the ignition key and all work well. He said anyone should be able to do it with a little patience and time.
Koopman