Need E9 Buying Advice!

Does this sound like a good opportunity? Is $12k too much? How much should I offer?

• Yes, good opportunity. Yes. $10k

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, good opportunity. Yes. $8k

• No, its has too many potential problems. Yes. $8k

• Total voters

323irish

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I need some advice purchasing my first E9.

Needless to say I have been in love with the E9 since I started tinkering with my father's abandoned E21 when I was a teenager. After 3 E21's I longed to upgrade for the desirable E9, but could never quite afford one. Living in a major metropolitan area for the last several years has dampened my grease monkey tendencies, but not my drive to eventually afford a "labor of love" E9.

With that said, right now I have the opportunity to fulfill my dream. I need to know if this opportunity below is a good one so I don't go making a mistake buying something simply because it is there and I have some cash.

The Opportunity: My neighbor of the past two years is in possession of 1973, 3.0 CSi. He is moving out of the country for a period of months and has offered the car up for sale rather than going through the hassle of storing it and his daily driver, an M5. He is asking $12k.

Background: He purchased the car on a whim 2 years ago here in the city and has since used it sporadically, but primarily he leaves it under the nearby overpass of the highway for days & weeks on end. It is currently left out in the snow on a side street and all of this breaks my heart.

Condition:
*The exact miles of the car are unknown as odometer is broken and has been since he purchased it. (50,000miles)
*The engine seems strong, but has a slight intermittent dip in power under 2500 rpm; I am not sure as to the cause, however no such problem exists above 25k-rpm. He claims the car is regularly cared for by a little garage I unfamiliar with but is happy to provide paper work. He had not noticed the loss of power previously. The head gasket was recently replaced.
*The body appears solid; however there is extensive cancer in driver side fender where it meets the quarter panel and down to the running board. It is not noticeable unless one looks under the car and inside the wheel-well or one merely has to grip the metal to feel how malleable it is. The running boards are deteriorating on both sides especially where they meet the front fenders and there are a few soft spots. The front quart panels both show signs of bubbling, the aforementioned front left has several larger dollar sized ones. Inside the front and rear towers seem rock hard, (which the owner claims as one of the car's strongest selling points, but I have my doubts.) The floor of the truck contains some visible rust with some pinholes through the metal.
*The interior is cloth and outside of a single dime sized tear in the driver's seat it's all there. Unfortunately the driver side seat can no longer adjust forward to allow access to the rear seats. The wooden panels are in decent condition. There is no sunroof. And there is lame repair done to the passenger door grip bar involving duct tape...
*The lights and the radio all work properly however the window regulators are broken.
*She is a manual stick and shifts without any problems at all.

She has her problems and I am willing to put in the time for many years to come...

My question is, $12k seems awfully steep for all of her potential problems.

Thoughts? Questions? Concerns? All will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thank you again in advance!

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Advice sought

Sounds more like a beater than a driver.

Anything mechanical as repairable or replaceable for not huge sums of money. Lots of parts common in e3, e10, e12, e24, e28 e32 - almost anything BMW built from late 60's to the very early 90's engine and drive train plus some suspension are bolt in's or very nearly so. If this car drove reasonably well for a couple of years and and took no more than $1000 to get and keep it running while you learned everything it had to teach you about the care and feeding of a 38 year old car go ahead and do it.

BUT!!!! Don't spend a penny on the interior or the body! Any rust you see is the tip of the iceberg and on that basis there is eight times as much you can't see as is visible. When it finally gives up the ghost and like the Mummy crumbles into a pile of brown kibble and blows away - strip every serviceable mechanical piece, the engine and drive train and any of the interior and sell it all on ebay or use them on a better candidate for restoration that you found the intervening years.

You'll learn lots and be ready for a much better car that you'll recognize is worth $12,000 because this one isn't. $2-4000 max.

Doug

"The body appears solid; however there is extensive cancer in driver side fender where it meets the quarter panel and down to the running board. It is not noticeable unless one looks under the car and inside the wheel-well or one merely has to grip the metal to feel how malleable it is. The running boards are deteriorating on both sides especially where they meet the front fenders and there are a few soft spots. The front quart panels both show signs of bubbling, the aforementioned front left has several larger dollar sized ones."

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Keep looking, or let him try to put it on the market and realize it's not worth more than 2-3k. 12k will buy you a lot of coupe - look on here or craigslist/ebay for a while and you will see what they go for before jumping on this one. Be patient, it will save you a lot of $$$ and heartache in the future.

323irish

Reaction score
Picture of the coupe in question

Here is a recent picture of the aforementioned coupe, again at first glance the original paint is undisturbed by the rust. However the pictured quarter panel is extremely soft where the fender meets the running board. Otherwise the fender is solid, outside of the "bubbling" which doesn't show up here in this picture. Again, there are soft spots along the running board beginning with fender down along side...

Is she really a beater? :confused:

thanks again everyone

Attachments

• IMG00029-20110114-1529.jpg
    IMG00029-20110114-1529.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 156

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks like

Swiss cheese wrapped in a very pretty wrapper- is that a salt brine mixture it's stewing in?

sdoyle

Reaction score
'74 3.0CSA in Ireland

Are you in Ireland, I am. I have just finished restoring a '74 CSA.
I have a second '73 CSA needing restoration for sale.
Sean

323irish

Reaction score
I lived in Phibsborough for a while and before that Spiddal, but I am a born Yank in New York City. Where abouts is yourself? As to your 73, I'd love to but I think the shipping cost would kill me.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Let him keep trying to sell it. He may find an unwary buyer who gives him 12k, but I would give him maybe 5k.
Parking it on the snowy street like that is a travesty!
For a tutorial on rust and e9s, search this site for sven larsen's restoration chronicles. His car looked really nice from the outside, but was chewed up underneath.
Scott

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If the panels are that soft the structure underneath is even worse. Lets it sit under an overpass? That tells you what he thinks of it and the elements have not been kind to this one.

execmalibu

Reaction score
This totally rust free and recently restored 3.0CS was only a bit more...

This car is a Calif car with absolutely no rust ever... The car has fresh paint and a new leather interior and a sunroof! The car runs and drives great!

Again the car I bought was only a little bit more and only about a month ago then the $12K he is asking for a total POS...

If the car is as rusty as you describe and you buy that car for $12K you would be crazy...

Attachments

• rt frtJPG.jpg
    rt frtJPG.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jmackro

Reaction score
.... there is extensive cancer in driver side fender where it meets the quarter panel and down to the running board. It is not noticeable unless one looks under the car and inside the wheel-well or one merely has to grip the metal to feel how malleable it is. The running boards are deteriorating on both sides especially where they meet the front fenders and there are a few soft spots. The front quart panels both show signs of bubbling, the aforementioned front left has several larger dollar sized ones. Inside the front and rear towers seem rock hard, (which the owner claims as one of the car's strongest selling points, but I have my doubts.) The floor of the truck contains some visible rust with some pinholes through the metal.

My question is, $12k seems awfully steep for all of her potential problems.

My answer is, Yes, $12K seems awfully steep.

I'm sure the seller believes it's worth $12K, and he may even find someone willing to pay that price, but you do not want to own this car. Even if he gave it to you for nothing, you would end up spending more on rust repair than the cost of a more solid coupe. Keep looking. Don't be afraid to look farther afield.

323irish

Reaction score
So you're saying its not worth even having it for $2k? :(

And in those particular places, yes the metal is soft... I guess I am hoping for more and a strong desire to rescue this poor thing from its abuser.

bmw art car

Reaction score
Hey bro...
I'm trying not to flap my gums too much and all... anyway
What i am curious about is , how old are you?
I am asking because, you might have a tight budget to start off with.
and then that car would be way too much.
If you'd have some seniority under your belt, it might be ok to blow maybe 12 or 12 grand to make her look descent...
does that make sense?
I wouldn't buy it for 1.000 but that's just me...

Bwana

Reaction score
Lets give this guy some help!

No, I'd say run away from $12,000, even $6,000 is probably way too much. I just had a shade tree fender repair done to mine to keep the rust in check and it cost $2000. I know one of our members spent about $10,000 on rust repair (all gone now) and a repaint. So figure a minimum of $10,000 for a fully well done (possibly more) rust re-do plus, as mentioned, $1-2000 for mechanicals.

Hmmmm, just added that up, looks like a zero sum.

Another calculation to make is "how much do you have to spend"? Then look around at coupes for sale and how much it will cost to get them up to snuff.

Maybe some of the members here can throw out some estimates of work they've had done and the scope

You can either throw money at it or hang around here in the "cars for sale" section to get a better feel for what they're worth. Go back in the history of that forum and you can get a pretty good feel of repair cost and condition even if the car is no longer listed

Last edited:

tmason

Reaction score
Buy execmalibu for a few grand more and you be money ahead.
PS Store in a dry place and you can't lose!!!
Good Luck

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So you're saying its not worth even having it for $2k? :(

And in those particular places, yes the metal is soft... I guess I am hoping for more and a strong desire to rescue this poor thing from its abuser.

2k$ is fine as a driver, drive it then part it.
It will be a love-hate relationship, especially if you like the way it drives.

jmackro

Reaction score
So you're saying its not worth even having it for $2k?

Yup, that's what I'm saying.

Look, I haven't personally inspected this car - I have only seen one photograph of it. So I can't tell you whether it will cost $10,000, $15,000, or $20,000 to repair the rust and repaint it. But, I can tell you that:

a) Structural rust repair is work that needs to be done by a skilled professional with a well-equipped shop. Or a very serious and equally skilled amateur. Your life literally depends on getting it right.

b) Whatever rust is readily visible is just a fraction of the total. An e9 that has been "parked under an underpass" probably has rust on the rust.

c) The body is going to have to get torn apart to get at all that corrosion. Finish body work also requires skill/experience. Get it wrong, and you won't really find out until after your multi-hundred hour, multi thousand dollar paint job has been applied.

d) In addition to body work, an unloved car is also going to need attention to the mechanicals and interior. Those are more within the ability of a dedicated amateur, but parts costs still add up quickly.

e) By the time you have invested all that time and money in this roach, you could have bought a better coupe and be driving tomorrow (assuming the snow has melted by then!).

I know it's painful to see it rusting out there in the snow, but really, it isn't your problem. Be thankful for that.

Last edited: