My Baby is done... Thanks for all your help!!!!

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
yes. Basically, I have to turn key several times before car will turn over. It makes no noise on first effort, second effort, then turns over normally on 3rd or 4th effort.
It is probably one of two things. (both have been mentioned here)

1. The "pawl" that connects the two parts of the ignition switch may be broken or breaking. It can usually be fixed by replacing the electrical part of the switch which is accessed by removing the bottom cover of the steering wheel.

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 12.55.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 12.59.06 PM.png

2. The starter is on its last legs and needs to be replaced.

To test which one it is, use a multimeter to see if 12V is reaching the the trigger wire either to or at the starter when the key is turned to the start position. If not, it is the electrical part of the key switch. If so, it is the starter.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
It is probably one of two things. (both have been mentioned here)

1. The "pawl" that connects the two parts of the ignition switch may be broken or breaking. It can usually be fixed by replacing the electrical part of the switch which is accessed by removing the bottom cover of the steering wheel.

View attachment 136582

View attachment 136583

2. The starter is on its last legs and needs to be replaced.

To test which one it is, use a multimeter to see if 12V is reaching the the trigger wire either to or at the starter when the key is turned to the start position. If not, it is the electrical part of the key switch. If so, it is the starter.
extremely helpful. Ordering parts and testing. Thanks so very much.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wait, mine is the entire platform, not just the boot!
Also form the UK it would be for RHD :).
Arde:
I installed in LHD 2800CS with no issues. I suspect right and left are the same. If Scott is looking for the entire platform, I agree with you. Then CS Werk might be the way to go.
Thx, Dan

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Arde:
I installed in LHD 2800CS with no issues. I suspect right and left are the same. If Scott is looking for the entire platform, I agree with you. Then CS Werk might be the way to go.
Thx, Dan
Oh, you missed my smiley, of course they are the same. Leather is axially symmetrical I think.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's a reasonable assumption. The shift lever is angled differently for LHD and RHD so I bias could be incorporated into the boot. ( Serious face here. )

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Trying to get my ignition issue solved and my mechanic asked me to post the following question:
Can you ask if there is a wire running straight to the starter or does it go into a relay

HonaloochieBoogie

Reaction score
The 2800CS ZF trans had a LHD and RHD version of the shifter but the Getrag uses the same for both LHD and RHD according to the parts book. The shift platform is the same as well.
Are you a sought after trivia partner? Or is your talent for pulling out facts limited to e9s? If we (forum members) had a nickel for every time you answered one of these, we’d all be rich. In fact someone would likely have launched a space travel company by now. I’d definitely own several CSLs. Thanks and keep them coming.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are you a sought after trivia partner? Or is your talent for pulling out facts limited to e9s? If we (forum members) had a nickel for every time you answered one of these, we’d all be rich. In fact someone would likely have launched a space travel company by now. I’d definitely own several CSLs. Thanks and keep them coming.
I think he's (also) good with the orange parts books. Being good with books is generally the trade that trivia professionals have in common....

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I got the new shift boot, and it seems perfectly symmetrical to me

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A nickel for every comment = $838.20