Would you buy this?

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Don. In your expert opinion and based on the pictures is this a buy it unseen car. The issue of trust in the seller is my responsibility of course. And bear in mind the travel restrictions at present. What would this be worth in the states as it is? I may be able to find the seats and anything else to bring it back to originality.

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Price seems pretty realistic Gazz and looks very nice. Only comment i would make is in respect of the heater ....given you are in another State, will it be possible to register sans heater ? Here in WA it is required ( demister etc ) . It doesn't look like it would be easy to retrofit. Good luck !

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Price seems pretty realistic Gazz and looks very nice. Only comment i would make is in respect of the heater ....given you are in another State, will it be possible to register sans heater ? Here in WA it is required ( demister etc ) . It doesn't look like it would be easy to retrofit. Good luck !
I'll ask him about that. Thanks.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Assuming 42k au it’s a very livable price.
You have to drive it to know if it’s the car for you.
I've never owned or even driven a 2002 but one of my favourite cars I have owned was a modified Datsun 1600. When I was younger I had to modify. That car was a blast because I could drive the wheels off of it without going crazy speeds. Well okay, a little bit crazy speed. Light weight, rear wheel drive and pure analogue controls. Everything, it would seem, a 2002 is. It appeals to me greatly to have this car to go with my E9 and my AMG 507.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
a blast because I could drive the wheels off of it without going crazy speeds. Well okay, a little bit crazy speed. Light weight, rear wheel drive and pure analogue controls.

You just described a 2002...

How far away is it from you? Make a trip and go drive it. I think you will love it.

Ed

...conversion comes out to about $29,000 USD. Have you looked at what Tii cars go for on BAT ? Considering all the photos of the detailed restoration... it's a pretty good deal. No way you could build one of your own for that money.

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would only consider a third car if you fit in it, it’s a dependable driver and no problems registering it.
Otherwise just hang a picture of it in the garage.
Much cheaper- same result.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
The money isn't an issue. I'm not getting any younger and I either get the things I covet now or die with regret. A picture - that's a reminder of what I didn't do.
For the money it seems that I can't lose on what has been done to that car so even if it turns out to be one of those "you should never meet your heroes" situations I should recoup my money. So here goes...

Ajay

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
GAZZ, that tii looks like it has been restored well and is priced right. This one has some rare goodies as well, Italian blinkers and an upgraded center console with gauges. As an e9 owner and a tii owner, these tiis are super fun to drive. A lot of the e9 guys on the forum that I have met also have 2002s so if you need any parts or advice I am sure you will find it among us. From an investment standpoint the tiis are also going up in value and nice ones are becoming harder to find. I say go for it.

Honolulu

Reaction score
The paint certainly doesn't look like the color claimed, there's another 2002 that color and it's not metallic. I had one in that color and sold it long ago (heck I've had fifteen or so of the little things). You'll like it. It has the then-trademark BMW large greenhouse providing excellent outward visibility. The ad now states it's unavailable.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The paint certainly doesn't look like the color claimed, there's another 2002 that color and it's not metallic. I had one in that color and sold it long ago (heck I've had fifteen or so of the little things). You'll like it. It has the then-trademark BMW large greenhouse providing excellent outward visibility. The ad now states it's unavailable.
Yes, says unavailable. Photo is frozen, can't see any others. Can someone repost, I missed the opening post. Thanks,

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's unavailable because I bought the car and the ad has been withdrawn by the seller. It would be beneficial for the site, not the seller, to leave the ad in place but state that it is sold to aid buyers of the same car. Agree re the paint but photos can sometimes give a false impression. It looks darker than Fjord, at least the Glasurit Fjord my E9 is.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
It says it honors Fjord in color. That's a good way to put it. It's not the same but very close and very nice. Awesome car! Don't feel bad if you like driving it a lot more than your coupe.

zambo

Reaction score
Gazz - I drive an E3 daily (5 years) and have owned a ‘72 02 for 15 years.

They are dramatically different cars and that’s what makes them an interesting pair of classics to own and drive.

As it appears you may not have driven one, let me say this for your evaluation.

Given the performance and feel of an E3 and E9 are not dissimilar, you go from a cruiser that is capable of getting you to high speeds (80-100 mph in the old scale here in Oz) relatively effortlessly to a car (the 02) that gives you direct connection to the road and feels fast (and therefore puts a smile on your face) just accelerating to 40-45 mph. Note a tii under contemporary tests was good for better than 100mph.

They are easy to get in and out of - if you want to work on them, they’re pretty straightforward. I’ve just finished a total front and rear ended rebuild including steering box and diff with just the BMW2002FAQ website and the factory repair manuals. I’m no mechanic, just an enthusiastic hack. So if you like to take a spanner to your cars, 02’s are amenable to DIY owners.

Good luck - it looks a car with some genuine money spent on its restoration.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can't see the photos, but check the jackpoints for integrity. Congratulations. Love the square tailights with small bumpers look.