Surprise find...

TRIPPFONTAINE

Site Donor
Reaction score
I went to replace the seal around my rear lights tonight and was disassembling the lights and reflector housing when lo and behold I noticed down in the channel that runs around the gas tank, an old, rusted Pebra key. Sure enough it worked when I tried it in the ignition. Must have been put there by a PO in the event keys were lost.
I was about to get a replacement key cut, so it's as if the car has offered me yet another little gift. Gotta love it.

Reactions: dp

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice, when I got my car I also found a spare key hidden, and I left it there for the same reason the PO probbaly did. Almost came in handy halfway to Amelia Island when I lost my main key at a restaurant stop, after 20 minutes retracing every move I found it in the bathroom garbage can with a paper towel. Doh!

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice, when I got my car I also found a spare key hidden, and I left it there for the same reason he probbaly did. Almost came in handy halfway to Amelia Island when I lost my main key at a restaurant stop, after 20 minutes retracing every move I found it in the bathroom garbage can with a paper towel. Doh!
I did two runs of CS Register badges a number of years ago. A new owner of a 2800 CS reported he found an original CS Register badge behind the front grille. In perfect condition.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
My parts car had a ton of stuff hidden in it. i found a full length file, a key holder with three keys that fit nothing, a 'vintage' stanley garage remote, a CS for sale ad for $11K, and a silver salmon pendant,

In my '71 project car I found a '71 quarter under the rear seat. Thought that was neat...

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So if we are into tall stories now I would say I found a really old coin as it had the inscription "Year 20 Before Christ".

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
So if we are into tall stories now I would say I found a really old coin as it had the inscription "Year 20 Before Christ".

Likely a fake. The old coins used B.C. the abbreviate "Before Christ"

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
ten years ago, in the first serious inspection of my recently purchased coupe i found some odd objects in the trunk, inside the spare wheel well,

those where, the plastic cap for the alternator cable, the black end cap of the trunk spring mechanism, and the wipers switch knob,

i always recommend any new owner to keep every bit found in the car until he knows what it is and what use it may have

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I went to replace the seal around my rear lights tonight and was disassembling the lights and reflector housing when lo and behold I noticed down in the channel that runs around the gas tank, an old, rusted Pebra key. Sure enough it worked when I tried it in the ignition. Must have been put there by a PO in the event keys were lost.
I was about to get a replacement key cut, so it's as if the car has offered me yet another little gift. Gotta love it.
I gotcha all beat. When I purchased my 2009 BMW Vert in the center armrest under the cover that picks up there was a small leather compartment and when I opened it there was a nice crisp $100.So according to the above I should have left it there. Wrong!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I found two of these in the trunk of my parts car. One is severely bent. Any ideas?

IMG_0519.JPG

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tyre levers?

The one shown was used to kill Jimmy Hoffa, you can still see traces of hair and scalp on the handle.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
those look like tent stakes ... not car parts or tools. one got bent by hammering it into the ground and hitting a rock or hard soil

That is what I was thinking but they are really heavy duty and have odd ends on them.