Best E9 Steering Wheel - Options

e9phan

Reaction score
I'm hoping to benefit from other member experiences here!

My rebuild is slowly progressing, and while my CSi is not yet road worthy, I'm running ahead and considering my options for the steering wheel.

Currently I have a Mota Lita wooden steering wheel fitted, and I believe it to be 36mm - but in extremely poor condition. So I've taken this as complete freedom to go and find something else.

The car interior will be black leather, and Bela22 is hopefully going to help me with Zebrano wood - so rather than stick with a wooden rim, I'm leaning towards the 36mm Nardi Classic - Black leather, grey stitching

Product ID: ND Classic - 6061.36.3001
http://www.nardi-personal.com/index...ssic-6061-36-3001&catid=40&Itemid=280&lang=en

I was hoping other members could tell me their thoughts - I understand personal taste counts for a lot, but size and experience is equally important!

Any other ideas or thoughts would be appreciated -
both on size and design!

Many thanks

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
imho there is nothing better than a 38cm or 40cm Petri sport wheel as found on the CSL (leather 38cm) or as an option (leather-look foam 38cm & 40cm). These are getting hard to find and pricey. I also like the stock euro csi metal spoke wheel in leather. The 4 spoke Momo Alpina leather wheel is also cool looking. Anything smaller than 38cm tends to look out of place in the large cabin area as well as needing more effort to steer.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
imho there is nothing better than a 38cm or 40cm Petri sport wheel as found on the CSL (leather 38cm) or as an option (leather-look foam 38 cm & 40 cm). These are getting hard to find and pricey. I also like the stock euro csi metal spoke wheel in leather. The 4 spoke Momo Alpina leather wheel is also cool looking. Anything smaller than 38 cm tends to look out of place in the large cabin area as well as needing more effort to steer.

While I have come to agreement on this size assertion of Steve and many, it is rather silly. The difference between a 350 mm wheel and a 380 mm wheel is slightly over an inch. It is hard to imagine that aesthetics can be thrown off that much by an inch. I think the diameter of the wheel grip is more important. Fat wheels, even vintage 70's wheels look a bit out of place. I think the reason why the 380 mm to 400 mm wheels look good is because they have narrow grips.

My personal favorites:

1. 380 mm Petri - I *will find one for under $500 eventually (Edit: Bought a dished 400mm Petri instead for $170).
2. Vintage Alpina (Momo Prototipo) - I purchased a 380mm
2. Vintage Momo Prototipo
3. BMW Motorsport Wheel (Italvolanti) - I only like this one because it is period correct, not a huge fan of the style
4. Momo Daytona - Wood Rim
5. 390 mm Wood Nardi - Black - I purchased one also.
6. 390 Wood Nardi - Polished Aluminum - Pretty common but oh so nice.

Last edited:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Currently running a 380mm Petri. Thinking of putting on my 400mm Petri to see if I like it better.

Attachments

• IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 245

coupedownunder

Reaction score
I have a 380mm Nardi in perfect condition with German approved boss (with biult in self cancel) and BMW genuine horn button

Attachments

• Nardi wheel 001.JPG
    Nardi wheel 001.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 255
  • Nardi wheel 002.JPG
    Nardi wheel 002.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 215
  • Nardi wheel 003.JPG
    Nardi wheel 003.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 213

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Let me be the first to say that a 40 mm
Markos, you will be travelling back in time to get a Petri 380mm for $500!..I paid twice that for one in what I would call good to very good condition:)

I think $1,000 is a fair price in today's market for a country that suffers low vintage BMW inventory and high shipping costs. I would consider $700 a good deal and $500 a bargain. I'm a bargain shopper. :)

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would be patient on choosing a wheel... IMO, the choice is influenced by the personality of the car, colors, early or late model, sport or refined, ect...

e9phan

Reaction score
St
imho there is nothing better than a 38cm or 40cm Petri sport wheel as found on the CSL (leather 38cm) or as an option (leather-look foam 38cm & 40cm). These are getting hard to find and pricey. I also like the stock euro csi metal spoke wheel in leather. The 4 spoke Momo Alpina leather wheel is also cool looking. Anything smaller than 38cm tends to look out of place in the large cabin area as well as needing more effort to steer.

I like wood wheels too but I believe the OP is looking for suggestions on leather?

Stevehose, You've got it - I've been toying with the leather/wood question as you suggest, as a wooden rim was fitted when I bought the car.... but given I'm changing the veneer my thought was the wood rim might not fit as well as it would with the standard walnut trim....

e9phan

Reaction score
Let me be the first to say that a 40 mm

I think $1,000 is a fair price in today's market for a country that suffers low vintage BMW inventory and high shipping costs. I would consider $700 a good deal and $500 a bargain. I'm a bargain shopper. :)

Exactly my problem - I agree the Petri is ideally the way to go... it looks nicely 'period' - but I can't find one at a sensible price. As I'm sure we all know, a ground-up restoration isn't exactly the cheapest project you can undertake, and while I'm a BIG believe in man-maths (you can justify anything if you try hard enough...) even I have trouble justifying large expenditure on the steering wheel - but I'll try my hardest!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Keep an eye on eBay Germany

Exactly my problem - I agree the Petri is ideally the way to go... it looks nicely 'period' - but I can't find one at a sensible price. As I'm sure we all know, a ground-up restoration isn't exactly the cheapest project you can undertake, and while I'm a BIG believe in man-maths (you can justify anything if you try hard enough...) even I have trouble justifying large expenditure on the steering wheel - but I'll try my hardest!

coupedownunder

Reaction score
E911 is right , it really is subjective, and depends on the "style" of car you wish to create.. and the interior/exterior colors...and then personal taste...I have a 380mm Petri on the car presently as my car is Polaris with black interior, and with Alpinas and strip "the look" is sporty CSL 'ee... The genuine Nardi's are a more solid feel with a thicker rim and looks more elegant and sporty in an Italian way !

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
OP,

I think this looks pretty sharp! Watch out for fakes with the leather Nardi's. The wood ones don't seem to be counterfeited much, but it's quite common with the leather ones.

image.jpeg

I also really like black spoke Nardi's, including the leather version. 390mm looks really good IMO, but 365mm may be a bit more sporty for you.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i like the petri on the coupe - 380 leather is perfect ... 400 is next best. the petri just goes so well with the shift console (black with silver). i also like the black leather nardi with the silver spokes.

Reactions: JDH